The city was named after Kabul, Afghanistan, using an older English spelling of the name, in 1882. The British Army had just withdrawn from Kabul at the end of the Second Anglo-Afghan War the year before. As local legend goes, one of the construction engineers who built the railroad through Cabool also worked on railroad construction in Afghanistan and thought this area of southern Texas County looked similar to the region of Kabul, Afghanistan. Prior to being called Cabool, the community was known as Cedar Bluff. It remains the only "Cabool" in the United States of America.
Old legends claim that Cabool was named after the Indian chief who lived there, whose name was "Chief Kabul" (pronounced Kay-Bull). The story continues with the narrative that Chief Kabul and his sweetheart jumped ( into the "onyx pool" ) together to their deaths off Cedar Bluff at Cabool, as their parents disapproved of their relationship. This legend was depicted in the 1903 poem Legend of Cabool, written by Tug Wilson and Ben Durnell. The yearbook at Cabool R-IV Schools is still known as the "Kabul", named for Chief Kabul.
No listings found.